IS 1100
Freshman Seminar
Section 827

Course Outline for Fall Semester 1998

Instuctor: Thomas L. Gibson      Office: Sc 27      Phone: 742-1606.
Office Hours: 2:00-3:00 M-F (or by appointment) for August 24-28.
                           9:00-11:30 TTh (or by appointment) after August.
Follow the Current Course Information link to IS 1100 for course
information, assignments, and to leave e-mail.
Text: Keys to Success, 2nd edition, by Carter, Bishop, and Kravits.
You should also purchase a Texas Tech Academic Planner
(approx. $5.00 to $6.00).
Goals: This course is designed to help you develop good study habits
for success in college (and beyond) as well as to introduce you to the
information resources that will be essential for this goal. The format
of the class will be lecture/discussion along with attendance at some
special events.
Grading: Although there will be no formal exams in this course, there
will be several graded assignments–including three typed (or
word processed) papers of length two to five pages that will comprise
75% of your final grade. The remaining 25% will be based on other
assignments and on class participation. Each unexcused absence will
result in a 5% decrease of your final grade. Letter grades will
be awarded on the following scale: 100-90 A; 89-80 B; 79-70 C; 69-60 D.
Important Notes: Any student who, because of a disabling condition, may require
some special arrangements in order to meet course requirements
should contact the instructor as soon as possible so that the
necessary accommodations can be made. Proper documentation must
be presented from the Dean of Students' Office.
The faculty is strongly committed to upholding standards of academic
integrity. These standards, at the minimum, require that students
never present the work of others as their own.

This page designed and maintained by T.L. Gibson

Page last modified 8/21/97

Return to Gibson Home Page