Support through Assistantships

    We have the two standard sorts of assistantships for graduate students, the Teaching Assistant and the Research Assistant, plus the possibility of a Bucy Scholarship in Applied Physics.  In addition to the assistantship stipends, a "signup" bonus of $1000 is available to offset tuition the student's first semester.  Full health insurance is also offered.  The low cost of living in Lubbock, when compared to the settings of other Universities in the area, makes the compensation packages for our assistantships especially attractive.

Teaching Assistant:  This is typically the kind of support offered to incoming students.  It carries a stipend of $1470/month for 9 months for students entering with a B.S., or $1560/month for students entering with an M.S.  Summer support is available on a competitive basis.  International students must pass the International TA Workshop (see for details) in order to be supported as a Teaching Assistant.  Duties include teaching 2-hour introductory physics or astronomy laboratories three times a week, grading, and holding office hours.

Research Assistant:  A student wishing to enter with support as a Research Assistant should contact directly the faculty member with whom they would like to work.  In extraordinary circumstances, the student and faculty may agree that the student will be supported with a RA.  Generally, RA support is not offered before a student has made a committment to perform research under the advisement of a particular faculty member.  The stipends are comparable to those of TAs, but generally run for 12 months.

Bucy Scholarship in Applied Physics:  Currently, these are committed for support of students in our Professional Masters Degree Program.  They carry a stipend somewhat lower than a TA or RA.

Other scholarships, including the prestigious Chancellor's Fellowships, are available to outstanding students on a competitive basis.  Contact the Graduate Recruiter regarding these.

You can apply for support for your graduate studies at Texas Tech by filling out the on-line departmental application form..... click here

Last updated  03/07/00  11:57 a.m.  -  W. L. Glab