- Physics 1404-001 (General Physics II) Lectures
- Topics in the book by Nicholas Giordano 2nd Edition
- Chapter 23: Electromagnetic Waves or
- Maxwell's Equations of Electromagnetism
- Note: These Lectures (Power Point) are are UNDERGOING CONSTRUCTION!!
is to post a lecture before we discuss a topic in class,
but I can't promise!
- COPYRIGHT: All lectures are
copyrighted by C.W. Myles!
reproduction &/or use of them other than by students in this
course is allowed!!
- Phys 2401 Lectures
- Chapter Summary: A File Provided by the Publisher!
- Since the first class day, I've said over & over that
- THE THEME of THIS COURSE is:
- Maxwell's Equations of Electromagnetism!
- From that, it should be obvious that
- This is the most important chapter in the course!
- Part I: Maxwell's Equations: The 4 Laws of Electromagnetism:
- 1. Gauss's Law for E Fields (Coulomb's Law has the Same Physics)
- 2. Gauss's Law for B Fields (There are no magnetic charges!)
- 3. Faraday's Law: (A changing Magnetic Flux Induces E Fields)
- 4. Ampere's Law: (+ Maxwell's Displacement Current Modification)
- A current plus a changing Electric Flux induces B Fields
- Combining 1, 2,3,4 Gives a Wave Equation for both E & B.
- The Propagation Speed of the wave = speed of light c!!
- Part II: Derived from Maxwell's Equations:
- Electromagnetic Waves & Their Speed. The EM Spectrum
- Part III: Energy & Momentum in EM Waves. The Poynting Vector
- Radiation Pressure & Force
- Part IV: Some Humor: God, Light, & Maxwell's Equations!
- Potentially Useful Lectures found on the Web:
- File 1: Maxwell's Equations: Full Calculus Treatment!
- File 2: EM Waves: Calculus Treatment! Also Introduction to Photons:
- The Quantum Mechancial Treatment of EM Waves!!
<< Physics 1404 Homepage
<< Charles W.