1404-001 (General Physics I) Lectures
- Note: These Lectures (Power Point) are UNDERGOING CONSTRUCTION!!
is to post a revised a lecture before we discuss a topic in class,
but I can't promise!
- COPYRIGHT: All lectures are
copyrighted by C.W. Myles!
reproduction &/or use of them other than by students in this
course is allowed!!
- In addition to these lectures, you might also want to look at my
- Phys 2401 Lectures to see other treatments of the topics.
- (Physics 2401 is Physics II with calculus!)
- Based on
the book "Physics for Scientists & Engineers", by R.A. Serway & J.W. Jewett.
- Lectures based on our book are
- Introduction: Introduction to Physics 1404.
- Syllabus, Course Web pages, Grading, Exams
- Homework, Quizzes, Lab, Recitation, Rules.
- The Course Theme is
- Maxwell's Equations of Electromagnetism!!
- Special Lecture: Overview: The Structure of Physics.
- Chapter 17: Electric Forces and Fields.
- Coulomb's Law, Gauss's Law & Applications.
- Chapter 18: Electric Potential.
- Connection Between Field & Potential. Capacitance.
- Chapter 19: Electric Currents and Circuits.
- Resistance & Ohm's "Law". DC Circuits. Kirchhoff's Rules.
- Chapter 20: Magnetic Fields and Forces.
- Force on a Current Carrying Wire in Magnetic Field. Ampere's Law.
- Chapter 21: Magnetic Induction.
- Faraday's Law of Induction. Inductance.
- Circuits with Resistance, Capacitance & Inductance.
- Chapter 22: AC Current Circuits & Machines.
- AC Current & Voltage. Resistors, Capacitors & Inductors.
- Resonance. Reactances & Impedances.
- Chapter 23: Electromagnetic Waves:
- Maxwell's Equations of Electromagnetism.
- As I've Said Repeatedly, THE THEME of THIS COURSE is
- Maxwell's Equations of Electromagnetism!
- From that, it should be obvious that
- this is the most important chapter in the course!
- Chapter 24: Geometric Optics. Ray Model of Light.
- Reflection & Refraction. Law of Reflection. Snell's Law.
- Lenses, Mirrors, Focal Lengths, Mirror Equation. Thin Lense Equation.
- Chapter 25: Wave Optics. Wave Model of Light.
- Coherence. Huygen's Principle. Constructive & Destructive Interference.
- Diffraction. Michelson Interferometer.
Physics 1404 Homepage
<< Charles W.