- Physics 1403-001 (General Physics I) Lectures
- Topics in the book by Nicholas Giordano 2nd Edition
- Chapter 2: Motion, Forces, & Newton's Laws of Motion
- Chapter 3: Forces & Motion in 1 Dimension
- Note: Some Lectures (Power Point) are UNDERGOING REVISIONS!!
is to post a lecture before we discuss a topic in class,
but I can't promise!
- COPYRIGHT: All lectures are
copyrighted by C.W. Myles!
reproduction &/or use of them other than by students in this
course is allowed!!
- Old Phys 1403 Lectures Phys 1408 Lectures
- Chapter 2 Summary & Chapter 3 Summary
- Files Provided by the Publisher!
- NOTE: I think that it is logical to treat Chapters 2 & 3 in the book as 2 parts of a single
- chapter rather than 2. So, these lectures have been organized that way.
- Optional Information: Aristotle's Mechanics Is 100% WRONG!
It is of historical interest only!
- Part I: Kinematics: Terminology & Defnitions, Reference Frames, Distance
Speed, Scalars &
Vectors, Displacement, Average & Instantaneous
- Velocity, Average
& Instantaneous Acceleration. Examples
- Part II: 1- Dimensional Motion at Constant Acceleration:
- 1-Dimensional Kinematic Equations. Examples
- Part III: Vertical Motion in Earth's Gravity:
- The Free Fall Problem Examples
- Part IV: Force & Motion - Dynamics: Definiton of Force
of Forces, SI Unit of Force, Inertia & Mass
- Newton's 1st & 2nd Laws of Motion, Examples
- Part V: Dynamics Continued: Newton's 3rd Law of Motion
- Action-Reaction Pairs of Forces, Examples
- Part VI: Dynamics Continued: More Discussion of
- Newton's 3rd Law of Motion, Examples
- Part VII: Treatment of Friction: Static & Kinetic Friction.
Coefficients. Friction Force and Normal Force.
- Friction in Newton's 2nd Law of Motion, Examples
- Part VIII: Tension in Cables, Wires & Strings. Model,
- "Massless" Cables, Wires & Strings. Newton's 2nd Law
- of Motion with Cables, Wires & Strings, Examples
<< Physics 1403 Homepage
<< Charles W.